Disability Services Australia is recruiting specifically for experienced support workers who are committed to supporting a young man to live his life to fullest. He is currently in hospital, and requires a dedicated team to support him with community access 7 days a week, while he waits for his new home in Lake Macquarie / Newcastle Area.
We would are recruiting people who are committed to going on this journey with him, eventually, being his 24/7 support team in his new home. Until then, you will work across his community participation shifts, and across other participant supports at Morisset and Bonnells Bay.
This incredible guy is looking for people to who are fun, love a good laugh and can help him connect with his community. He also need people who understand how important his plans are and how structure and stability keeps him calm and safe.
He needs people who understand when he doesn’t feel safe, secure or that his routines are not being followed, that he can become distressed and act in a way that may challenge. He may become violent, may damage property or require emergency services to attend and take him back to hospital until he is feeling better. He needs people who truly understand this isn’t personal or an attack on them directly â rather, a response to him feeling overwhelmed as he settles into his new home and routine.
He needs people to know they will be trained to support him and regularly undergo training while at work to continue to evolve the support he needs. He wants his team to know that all plans and protocols are in place - and will keep everyone safe. DSA will work closely with each staff member and a team as a whole to regularly reflect on their practice, improve their skills and help him settle into his new routine and soon, his new home.
What's in it for you?
- Supporting a young man as he transitions back into community living after residing in hospital for two years
- You will be part of his community participation while he still resides in hospital and plans to move to his new home
- An exciting opportunity to connect him with his community in Morisset, Bonnells Bay and the broader lake Macquarie and Newcastle region
- Multiple casual roles available
- Flexible roster pattern to enable a healthy work-life balance
- Learning and development opportunities to set you up for success
- Most importantly a role where you see the difference you are making
As our Support Worker based in Lake Macquarie:
- Availability to work at least 3 days a week on a 24/7 [7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm, 11pm-7am â along with other shifts like 9am -5pm]
- Current NSW Driver’s License (P2 and above) and access to a car
- A good understanding of person-centered active support or willingness to embrace this model of support
- Be comfortable supporting adult clients with complex disabilities
- Thrive in a team-based environment where we work together to support the wellbeing of our participants
Disability Services Australia (DSA) is a fully owned subsidiary of Scope (Aust) Ltd. Scope and DSA came together in late 2021 to form one of the largest not-for-profit disability service providers in Australia. We support people with physical, intellectual, and multiple disabilities to achieve their goals, providing services to thousands of people across New South Wales and Victoria. Our mission is to enable each person to live as an empowered and equal citizen.
How to Apply:
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link.
To work at DSA, the successful applicant must undergo a NDIS Workers Check and a NSW Working with Children Check. It is also a requirement under DSA policy to have three COVID-19 vaccinations or a valid medical exemption. DSA is an EEO employer with a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all members of the community.
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link below.